Series # 4: One Week Before Move: Handy Check List to a Stress-Free Moving Experience
- Defrost refrigerator/freezer
- Plan simple meals for moving day to avoid using appliances.
- Make plans for care of small children on moving day.
- Separate personal toiletry items that you will need for travel so they don't get packed on the truck.
- Pack a box of items you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home and have movers put this box on last (clearly, mark the box as PACK THIS LAST or UNPACK THIS FIRST) or take it with you. (Bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels, batteries, etc...)
- Have appliances disconnected and prepared for the move. AND TURN OFF THE WATER LINE TO THE REFRIGERATOR!
- Set aside one room for packers and movers to work in freely.
- Double check utility connection dates at the new home. (sometimes these dates change! Better safe than sorry)
- Notify friends and neighbors of the new address and phone number (just moved cards are great).
- Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks (consider transferring prescriptions to a new pharmacy closer to your new home)
- When you leave your home for the last time leave any information on the home that may be helpful on the kitchen countertop. These are items such as manuals, garage door openers, mailbox keys, HOA access cards and instructions for your current home for new owner. Be sure to include information for existing contractors such as maid services, lawn maintenance, pool companies, or any specialty company that has been regularly servicing your home. You new buyers will appreciate it!
- Schedule a locksmith to immediately rekey your new home.
Hold tight to our NEXT and FINAL TIP next week Series # 5......